Posts Tagged ‘a town of maple chiropractic clinic’
Chiropractor In Maple, Vaughan Ontario Discusses The Connection Between Stress And Disease And How To Manage Stress
Maple, ON – It is widely known that stress causes health problems.
Ongoing stress can even lead to chronic diseases. Stress is so common in people’s lives that it almost seems inescapable some weeks.
But all is not lost when it comes to combating and conquering stress. The key is to feel in control even when the stressful situation arises out of nowhere. That is what an effective stress management system is for.
A good stress management system that is personalized to you and your life situations is key to reversing the devastating effects of stress on your body and on your health.
Find out more about creating your own personalized stress management system by watching this new video here: http://www.ibthcc.com/stress-management-lp/
Chiropractor In Maple, Vaughan Discusses Essential Backpack Safety Awareness Tips
Back in the day when I was in grade school (we ‘re talking about the 80′s) kids didn’t carry or use backpacks. It wasn’t the norm as it is today and so it didn’t pose a common risk to the backs and spines of school-aged children. The most we carried to school was a lunch box and one or two books. Today, I see children with backpacks that are filled to the max and super heavy for their petite body size.
Here are 10 essential backpack safety awareness tips that every parent should know:
- Avoid choosing a backpack for the fashionable look. Backpacks are needed for their functionality and not for their looks. Choose a good backpack for your child that has evenly distributed compartments, a padded back side and padded shoulder straps.
- The backpack size should be proportional to your child body size. A common mistake I see is that the child is carrying a backpack that is too big for them. The danger is that the backpack gets overloaded and heavy.
- The weight of the backpack should be 10% of the child body weight. So, an 60 lb child should be carrying a backpack that is 6 lbs. A 60 lb child should NOT be carrying a backpack that is 15 lbs for example. To an adult that may not seem too heavy, but it represents 25% of the child’s body weight (in this example). Imagine an adult with a body weight of 180 lbs carrying a weight on their back that is 25% of their body weight. That equals 45 lbs of weight. I don’t think you would find that appealing nor comforting. The same goes for a child. In fact, a heavy backpack places a tremendous amount of load on the child’s spine which can lead to strains.
- All heavy books (like text books) should be stored in the backside of the backpack, closest to the child’s back. Lighter books and items should be stored in the front of the backpack. This allows the heavier items to be closer to the child’s center of mass when standing and walking thereby minimizing strain on their back and neck.
- Use the side pockets and compartments evenly. These compartments should be used to store smaller items like water bottles, pencil cases etc.
- Teach your child to wear BOTH shoulder straps. This gets the weight of the backpack evenly distributed throughout the child’s body and prevents overloading to one side of the shoulder.
- The backpack should never hang low on the child’s back. This will cause slouching and a poor posture to develop. Show your child how to tighten the backpack so it rests right up on the child’s back by tugging on the pull straps located on the shoulder straps.
- Leave non-essential items at home, like handheld gaming devices etc. Items that are not essential for schooling needs will increase the weight and bulkiness of the backpack.
- Binders add more bulk to the backpack. Minimize the number of binders used and consolidate homework sheets into one smaller folder or binder.
- Lunches can add weight and bulk to the backpack. Consider a light reusable lunch bag and have the child carry it by hand to avoid added load to the back.
Parents, by following these 10 backpack safety tips, you can help minimized the weight and load of the child’s backpack and prevent strain and poor posture from developing.
Related Articles By Dr. Walter Salubro
Dr. Walter Salubro is a family wellness chiropractor who has been serving the Maple and Vaughan community for over 13 years.
Dr. Salubro provides chiropractic care to people all age groups. He has completed many post-graduate courses in techniques applicable to both children and adults. In addition to offering specific spinal adjustments and posture corrective techniques,
Dr. Salubro offers an extensive line-up of health and wellness workshops, exercise classes and a run-walk club to his patients.
Dr. Walter Salubro is dedicated to providing the highest quality chiropractic care for all of his patients. He is a 1999 graduate of the National College of Chiropractic and certified from the Academy of Chiropractic Family Practice and the Council on Chiropractic Pediatrics (C.A.C.C.P.). Dr. Walter Salubro is Webster Technique Certified, certified and recognized by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association. Dr. Salubro caters to the specialized care of infants and pregnant mothers.
Chiropractic office in Maple, Vaughan Ontario. Call (905) 303-1009
Back pain? Neck pain? Headaches? Thinking about seeing a chiropractor?
Question: “I have had low back pain for many years. Can chiropractic help?”
Dr. Walter’s answer: Chiropractors have helped many people with low back pain. In most cases, if you have had back pain for many years, chiropractic care is certainly a health care option for you. There are many causes of low back pain. A spinal exam by the chiropractor can help determine if the cause of your back pain is of spinal origin and if it can treated or corrected with chiropractic care.
Question: “When I get neck pain, I also get dizziness. I’ve been told I have vertigo. What can a chiropractor do?”
Dr. Walter’s answer: The joints of the upper neck (at the base of the skull) give a lot of information to the brain about your body’s position in space, especially while you are standing. A structural problem with the spine, especially in the upper neck can trigger symptoms of dizziness or loss of balance. A chiropractor will do a thorough spinal exam and assess the neck for any shifts or misalignments to determine if the dizziness comes from the neck region. If it does, the chiropractor will suggest a course of treatment that addresses correcting the underlying spinal problem contributing to the vertigo as well as the neck pain.
If you have neck pain, back pain or headaches, find out if chiropractic care is right for you. Visit a chiropractor in your community. If you are in Maple or Vaughan Ontario, give us a call or come visit us. We can help determine what’s causing your pain and if you are a good candidate for chiropractic care.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is gentle and safe.
Recently I had a woman in her 9th month of pregnancy come into our office looking for information about how chiropractic can help with her low back pain. In just 3 chiropractic visits, she started experiencing less back pain, was walking easier and had improved sleep.
Chiropractors have been providing gentle chiropractic care for pregnant women for decades. Yet, not many woman realize the benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy.
Two of the most common reasons why a mom-to-be will seek prenatal chiropractic care are: (more…)
Questions about chiropractic care for headaches or migraines, call Back To Health Chiropractic Centre in Maple (Vaughan), Ontario.Tel: (905) 303-1009.
Dr. Walter Salubro Demonstrates Thompson Drop Table Adjusting.
Maple, ON - The Thompson Terminal Point chiropractic adjusting technique uses specialized drop chiropractic tables. It’s a gentle chiropractic technique that follows a scientifically sound assessment of the spine and creates great results in the correction of spinal misalignments.
Patients find this adjusting technique comfortable. It’s gentle enough to use with children too.
In this video, I am demonstrating the leg length analysis, a pelvic and neck drop table adjustment and a post adjustment leg length re-check.
Dr. Walter Salubro demonstrating Thompson Terminal Point Chiropractic Adjusting.
Dr. Salubro is an assistant instructor at the Thompson Technique Seminar Series.
If you like this video, please share on Facebook. Click the Facebook button below.